Middlesex Apple Orchard | North Brunswick, NJ | 6.37 MW Solar PV System
Scope of Work
SunDurance Energy’s design/build Middlesex County Apple Orchard Solar Project is located in North Brunswick, NJ. The project is a 6.372 MW ground mount array feeding into seven different buildings at the Middlesex County Complex, including a Youth Detention Center and an Adult Correctional Facility. As part of Middlesex County’s Energy Savings Program they entered a 15 year PPA for the project to install over 25,000 solar panels that will save the county approximately $1 million a year in energy costs for the duration of the contract. The solar panels will produce enough energy to provide 100 percent of the power needs at the complex.
Brief Description of Effort
The Middlesex Apple Orchard site was constructed in two phases. Phases One was a 1 MW installation that tied in 5 of the smaller municipal buildings and Phase Two was a 5 MW installation that tied in the Youth and Adult Jails. Detailed planning by the SunDurance team was necessary to coordinate the construction activities between all stakeholders. In total, seven different parties were required to take part in the design, construction, and inspection of the project. The coordination efforts were a success as the project is on schedule to be completed in March 2013.
- Design/build project because of panel switch from 260 to 250 Watts – had to add racking to accommodate additional panels with limited space in order to maintain production
- New post driving technique utilizing bobcat EZ-spotter and Mobile Ram excavator
- Installation of posts for racks around the existing utilities that feed each of the buildings (easements & crossings challenges)
- Owner experienced panel manufacturing delays/issues due to Tariff’s and Chinese Economy downturn
- Had to keep the two main jail facilities up and running on temporary generator power when tying in the solar equipment
- Coordination required with utility company (PSE&G) for switchgear design and for changing our customer from a secondary customer to a primary customer
- Coordinated and installed remote monitoring and metering for Utility Company (SCADA system)